Sunday, October 28, 2012

Run log 10/22-10/28

After a very easy comeback week after Oil Creek, I was on the verge of deciding how to deal with the next couple of months of training given that there was nothing huge on the horizon and Leadville still is 10 months away. Plenty of time to do something different. I checked out a nearby gym which had a boxing room with 4 different kinds of bags. It had been a while but I grabbed my 16oz gloves and started doing intervals. Replaced my long weekly mileage with this and lots of weights. It felt much different, and gave my legs some extra recovery time (still had a lot of fatigue and feet were still sore from all the mimimus the previous week). Had the day off Friday and got my longish run in. All week long I was weighing the options, is it time to do something new? If I drop my weekly mileage now, will it negatively affect going for areally really good time if I sign up for Leadville another year? Even writing this now on a Sunday night, before a massive hurricane swoops over, I still am on the fence. Keep up lots of volume, my training could grow stale. Drop it, and replace with shorter, high-intensity crossfit type stuff and stairclimbing or heavy bag, and I may lose my long-run legs but gain a lot of functional strength. But something bit me. Every time I do this I can’t help but miss the long stuff. Maybe after 2 years of consistently pushing towards higher volume, running long mileage has become almost a physical need or something. I know it would probably be beneficial to mix it up for a while and let smaller tendons heal and what not, but it’s become almost a competitive desire to see how far I can push my running while keeping up the weights and what not.

Oct. 22nd
5 miles easy lunch run

5 miles treadmill

Upper body weights, core and abs

Oct. 23rd
Lift AM lower body

Heavy bag 15 min

5 miles treadmill: half mile intervals 8-8:30. All 4%

Oct. 24th
Heavy bag 15 min.

Weights upper body

30 min stepclimber

Oct.25th
5 miles with three 800 meter intervals up a 200 ft gain hill (same as previous weeks but with the extra 400 meters).

5 miles with hash group, EZ

3x 50 BW squats

Oct. 26th
17 miles of eight 1.75 mile hill repeats at South Mountain Reservation with some flats at the end. A great consistent hill repeat section, a tad rocky on the steep downhill, but a go to Leadville training spot where I don’t need to carry a bladder for very long runs. 2:53 or so- good pace for this.

Oct. 27th
6.2 around my place.

Oct. 28th
12 miles (2 loops opposing directions) Jockey hollow. Some good climbs but not insane.
2x 55 BW squats


MILEAGE/WEEK: 60 miles

1 comment: