Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mountain Madness (MoMa) 50k report


This has always been my favorite 50k, running through NJ’s wilderness during the short autumn daylight hours. I felt great from recently jumping to 90-100 mile weeks with speedwork, b2b long efforts, a ton of calisthenics and my usual 2/week hard tempo runs. After training on the actual main loop counterclockwise as it would be this time, the altered course shifted my time goal: to at least meet the 5:43 from last year's time when the main loop was done clockwise, and most thought, the faster way to go. A year ago my diet was more processed-based and I stacked two tough 100-milers only 5 weeks apart shortly before MoMa: I felt way fresher this time and I my legs felt more developed for long hill efforts. So that hopefully would compensate.

I did no taper, just wasn’t tired enough. The Saturday before I PR’d a 50M by two hours from 2010 at Virgil Crest- and still felt fresh. Recently I had switched to almost a no-meat diet and massive amounts of fruit all day long and it helped me drop 15 pounds in 6 weeks and my recovery was near instant, I felt light and strong on the hills, and ran all but the steepest sections of the course. This time I’d have to run everything to make time. I think being short-legged makes me slow hiking up hills so I trained to run everything possible.

At the start the front crowd thinned to 6-7 of us, Julian (last year's winner and course record) pulled ahead to the front and hauled up the first 3-400 ft climb. Everyone else followed suit, ran right up it and began to disperse. I fell back a little wanting to at least preserve something, knowing the course beforehand was a big advantage. I jumped over a log uphill, probably unnecessary. The course flattened to single track, I was leapfrogging with a few guys as we traded names and moved on. Back up another long hill, still felt strong. I realized unlike other years we didn’t have to go up and down Bear Swamp road, instead we’d only go down it once- no big change, only more trail elsewhere, but mentally it seemed we were given a big break. 9 miles in I reach the far-point and high-point, Skyline Drive. All my training runs began here as it was a full 7-8 miles closer to the highway- and Doungking Donuts. Without me even realizing it, Harry Hamilton who was helping at the aid filled my water and Dan O’Keefe filled me in that the leaders were only 5 minutes ahead, sweet. Laurie Timko, who unfortunately got injured right before the race, snapped some great photos right here when everyone is anticipating a long downhill.

The next section was long downhill and rocky, and I felt loosened up really good by now and tried anticipating foot placement as fast as possible- nearly missing some potential falls on some not so friendly rock garden sections. After this, the halfway point was a few miles away. There I realized I had only drunk two handhelds by this point, which didn’t seem healthy and also might cause bad cramps and bonking. Still, I felt focused, and grabbed two gels, barely stopping for more than a water fill. The toughest section was ahead, a long climb, 10% grade for the first mile, and would take most of my energy leaving nothing for the last 9 miles if I wasn’t careful. I stuck with running the whole thing anyway, feeling great. I knew there were about 6-7 runners ahead and I started passing many on this hill. A few shorter climbs later and the main loop was done. I was getting thirsty at this point but the mini-aid station a few miles from the end of the main loop was tapped of water- another good reason to move quickly to the start where I had an extra filled bottle stashed.

Nearing the start, I hadn’t passed anyone in a few miles. Figuring the 2 ahead of me were miles ahead, they will easily break the course record! Coming down into the same straightaway we started on I saw Julian blasting below on the beginning of the second loop. Coming back to the start I threw my hip-gear down, forgetting again to drink, and grabbing my spare bottle. I downed it in the first mile- only thing left to do is haul and not get dangerously dehydrated. I figured 9-10 minute miles I’d be safe. Never before did I sacrifice time in drinking a little extra for time on the clock. Now it was necessary to put in a good finish.

Since the 7.77 mile bike loop was hilly but no long hills, it would have to be done at 10k effort. I downed a gel and I felt energized but tapping into my final reserves. The first main hill I powered up, but the nastiest groin cramp ever came over me and I tried stretching in a V hoping it would go away. Luckily, it was the top of the hill and a little downhill would let it rest. I got complacent about being in 3rd but I knew the 4th guy was right behind; we passed at the turnaround stairs. But then after 3 miles into this final loop on the backturn portion, I looked behind about 3 miles in at the end of a long straight stretch, nothing but trees! Relaxing, I probably lthen et off the gas too much- because coming in the last 2 miles of hilly single track, 4th place David came sprinting out of nowhere! He later said he knew I was only 6 minutes behind and ran HARD to catch up. And he did, leaving me in the dust. 10 yards from the finish I see Dave at the same time finishing his first loop, looking ready to eat the trail up. David goes on to finish 5:01, I came in at 5:04. The top two broke the 5 hour mark, Julian at 4:59, and Michael at an Astounding 4:39. It was a jaw dropping finish- could have even been neck and neck, rare for these kinds of events!

Next thing I hung around watching some friends finish and kill their goal times on a harder course than before. Unfortunately a few buddies got injured right before and had to sit out, as running this terrain on injuries cannot ever be a fun experience, I've been there too many times. I felt more than pleased with the race, and even more excited with seeing how much further I could take it. Nothing is more satisfying than feeling strong running up steep hills. My personal training schedule can be draining, but I feel like my timing is more nailed down than usual for consistent increases in endurance and speed. What's great is how everyone is already taking bets on the results for 2013. Thanks NJ Trail Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment